Growing a beard is not only a sign of masculinity, it’s a sign of discipline and strength—because it takes a lot of effort to maintain. Growing a full, healthy, beard is especially difficult for black men because it presents a unique set of challenges that other bearded men don’t have to worry about. Between slow growth and coarse and curly hair texture, black men’s beards can be harder to groom and manage. Here are 7 tips to finally get that nice healthy beard that you always wanted:
Have Patience with Your Beard
If you’re starting from scratch, prepare to dedicate at least 6 weeks to your beard journey. The average beard growth rate is ½ inch every month. Hair follicles need to be stimulated and your growth pattern needs to take shape, and this takes time. In the early stages, you may notice particular areas of your beard that appearance patchy, or locations that grow in thicker than others. You may even experience beard itch, this is perfectly normal. Leave it alone and let it grow. A thick luxurious beard is not going to happen overnight. This is a process— you must understand and trust it. During the first 6 weeks, follow the tips below.
Wash Your Beard
Yes, that’s right. Your beard needs to be thoroughly washed at least once a week. Depending on your lifestyle, you may need to wash your beard as often as every 2-3 days. From the food you eat to the pollution in the air, the hair on your face grows best when the hair follicles and surrounding area is clean. RULE #1- Never use regular hair shampoo or regular body wash for your beard, as these products can strip your beard of all its natural essential oils. Use a beard wash that is specifically designed to clean and condition your beard at the same time. The main goal is to deep clean in order to make sure you’re promoting healthy beard growth.
Keep Your Beard Moisturized
Caring for a black man’s specific hair texture requires a little more effort. Your hair naturally needs more oil, and the oil glands on your face will not generate enough moisture for both your skin AND your beard. Although our amazing beard wash cleanses and conditions your beard at the same time, for best results, follow up with a natural beard balm product or a natural beard oil that will lock in that moisture. Your facial hair thrives from moisture, and a beard oil or beard balm will keep your beard hydrated and soft all day long.
Use High-Quality Products for Your Beard
The biggest mistake black men make is trying to use regular hair shampoo and moisturizer on their beard. Avoid using products with harsh chemicals at all costs. These products will either clog your pores or strip them of the oils that are good for you. When it comes to taking care of black hair and skin, natural is ALWAYS better. Aside from the benefits of not exposing your body to harsh chemicals, high-quality natural products rarely have adverse effects on your overall health. What you put on your body is just as important as what you put in it, does your current product lineup reflect this?
In addition to high-quality products that you put on your beard, you should also be using high-quality products to groom and style your beard. The right comb or brush can make a big difference in your beard growth. When choosing a comb for your beard make sure it's smooth so that it won't pull or tug at your hair. Not only does that hurt but it could also damage the hair follicles and affect how your beard grows. If you prefer a brush, choose one with medium to soft natural boar bristles. This type of brush can tackle to unruliest of beards without damaging it.
Change Your Diet for a Better Beard
According to Jim White, a registered dietician for The American Dietetic Association, the condition of your facial hair directly relates to the health of your body. Omega 3 Fatty Acids (walnuts, salmon, flaxseed oil) will definitely boost hair growth. Protein (chicken, fish, eggs) is also essential for healthy hair growth. Foods that are rich in Vitamin A (spinach, squash, and sweet potatoes) will improve the skin underneath your beard. Vitamins C and E will keep your skin and hair hydrated (ex. broccoli, fruits, and peanut butter). By changing your diet to foods that support growth, you should see results in no time.
Drink Plenty of Water to Help Your Beard Grow
There's a strong and direct correlation between water consumption and beard growth. Staying hydrated leads to increased blood flow and circulation. Great blood flow ensures that your skin is getting the important nutrients it needs. Healthy skin is the foundation and is mandatory for a healthy and full beard. Proper hydration keeps your beard's foundation in peak condition.
Hit The Gym
We all know the benefits of working out and living an active lifestyle. But did you know exercise can also promote beard growth? Working out increases testosterone, metabolism, and body recovery, which all trigger beard growth. Hit the gym or set up a hoop session with your friends—do something to get active and pay attention to how your beard responds.
BONUS Beard Tip: Stay Away from Drama
Stress can increase cortisol in your body, which can decrease testosterone. Since testosterone is essential for beard growth, you need to avoid stress as much as possible. High levels of stress can even make it harder for your blood vessels to deliver proper nutrients to your hair follicles, which can slow down beard growth. Cut out the major stressors in your life (friends, family, commute) or figure out better ways to manage it. Our 10-Day Level Up Challenge is a great place to start.
SUPER BONUS: Choosing the Best Beard Products for Black Men
The biggest challenge for a black man growing a beard is understanding which products work with your hair and skin and which products work against it. Golden Grooming Co. offers the best natural grooming products for black men at fair prices. We did our homework and created a line of beard products formulated just for us.
- Beard Wash - When looking for a beard wash, go for one that offers a cleanse that is soft enough for your face but strong enough to clean even the thickest beards. Our beard wash helps you rinse away the excess oil and dirt of the day without drying out your beard, leaving your beard soft, moisturized and conditioned.
- Beard Balm - A beard balm helps style and shape your beard while also serving as a leave-in beard conditioner. Our legendary beard balm is guaranteed to fill in those patches, increase beard growth, and stop beard dryness, split ends and tangles once and for all.
- Beard Oil - A natural beard oil will moisturize your facial hair and skin underneath. This helps prevent itchy beards and create ideal conditions for healthy hair growth. Our Ultra-Conditioning Beard Oil is packed with some of the most powerful all-natural ingredients proven to help your beard grow and take it to the next level.
- Beard Brush - A great beard brush helps to evenly distribute products throughout your beard, whether it’s beard wash, balm, or oil. Our medium-soft natural boar bristles help to distribute your natural oils and any product you may use for your beard, giving it that healthy shine. Pro Tip: You don’t have to wait to have a full beard in order to use a beard brush, train your hair follicles to get ready for your beard by brushing your face in the direction you want your beard to grow (even before hair starts growing).
- Beard Comb - A beard comb helps you style and detangle your facial hair. Our comb is handcrafted with a silky smooth finish and saw cut teeth that can get through any beard with no snagging or pulling.
To make it even easier to grow your beard, we created the Ultimate Beard Care Set, which includes all of the products above and comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. There are a lot of men’s grooming kits out there, but Golden Grooming Co. is simply the best beard grooming kit for black men. Get this bundle and save today!