Even if not directed at you, how many “ashy skin” jokes have you heard during your lifetime? Considering how dryness is more visible on black skin, it’s no wonder ashy skin is a popular topic to joke and laugh about. However, ashy skin can be avoided altogether if you make a few small tweaks to your skincare routine. Here’s a quick and easy guide to make sure you’re never the butt of those ashy skin jokes:
What is Ashy Skin?
Ashy skin is simply just dry skin that is more apparent and visible in people of color. It can make the skin look dull, gray, or chalky, with an ash-like coating. Ashy skin can feel dry, tight, and painful. Since black men’s skin is naturally thicker and rougher, it’s the most prone to appear ashy.
Causes and Skincare Tips for Ashy Skin
- Lack of Moisture - The top layer of skin is the most important to keep moisturized. The first step to getting rid of ashy dry skin is using our Ultra-Moisturizing Body Lotion/Balm as a daily moisturizer that will rehydrate the top layer of skin cells and seal in the moisture much better than the body lotion you’re using now.
- Fabric Choices - Cotton, wool, and polyester can irritate and absorb moisture from the skin, leaving it dry and ashy. Avoiding these materials may help your skin stay moisturized longer.
- Long Hot Showers - Hot showers can dry out and irritate your skin. Hot water causes damage to the keratin cells which are located on our most outer layer of the skin – the epidermis. By disrupting these cells, it creates dry skin and prevents the cells from locking in moisture. Switch to cold showers to calm itchy skin and give it a healthy glow.
- Dry Weather - The drier the air, the more moisture it sucks from your skin, so you’re more likely to experience dryness and flakiness during the colder months of the year, especially if you’re prone to eczema or other dry skin conditions. Drink lots of water and invest in a good humidifier to add some moisture to the air.
- Medications and Medical Conditions - Certain medications for diabetes, malnutrition, hypothyroidism, and psoriasis have been linked to causing dry skin and dehydration. Consider exploring alternative medications without these side effects.
Best Skincare Products for Black Men’s Ashy Skin
- Hydrating & Detoxifying Face Wash - Moisture should be a part of every step in your skincare routine. Cleaning your face with a product designed to lock in moisture will help keep your face hydrated all day long.
- 3-In-1 Body Wash - Black men can have dry skin anywhere, not just the face. This all-natural body wash cleanses, softens, moisturizes, and conditions the rest of your body. Moisture-retention is a top priority in all of our products, not an afterthought.
- Ultra-Moisturizing Body Lotion/Balm - This powerful and potent balm provides ALL-DAY moisture to extremely dry skin. Say goodbye to ashy hands, elbows, and feet – say hello to the daily moisturizer you’ll never need to reapply.